Establishing an Ohio BMV Record Account
The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) has four types of record accounts, which require different identifiers and return different types of records. Unique account numbers are assigned for each type of account.
- Driver Abstracts
- Vehicle Registration Abstracts
- Title Abstracts
- Last Known Address
To establish an account, submit a written request on your company’s letterhead indicating:
- The nature of your business
- The category your business falls under (corporation, partnership or sole proprietor)
- Type of account(s) you would like to establish
- A detailed description of how your company will use the records
- A detailed description of the Driver Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) exception that qualifies your company to receive records
You may mail your written request to:
Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Attention: BMV Record Accounts Unit
P.O. Box 16520
Columbus, Ohio 43216-6520
Please do not include monies with the written request.
You may also fax your request to (614) 995-7946.
After an Ohio BMV Record Account is Established
Once the account is created and an account number has been provided, a minimum $200.00 initial balance is required. Each account requires a separate check payable to: Ohio Treasurer of State.
- You MUST include the account number and the words, “BMV Record Account,” on all correspondence and/or checks. Any correspondence and/or checks received without this information will be returned.
- Fees for each transaction are deducted from your account balance as each inquiry is processed.
- You will be notified by mail when your account balance reaches $100.00 (or an amount designated).
- Requests will continue to be processed until your account balance is depleted. Once your account has been depleted, no requests will be processed until the account is replenished.
Please Note: the BMV record account service does not permit users to access or perform transactions online.