Specialized Interest Plates
Retention of License Plate Number
Registrants replacing their license plates may retain their current standard-assigned license plate number for an additional fee.
- New plates will have flat (digitized) characters instead of embossed characters.
- Personalized and initial reserve replacement license plates are not eligible for license plate number retention. Both are still assessed additional fees associated with the type of plate.
The following types of transactions are eligible for retention of same plate number:
- Renewal if combined with a replace or exchange transaction
New plates will be mailed directly to the address on your vehicle registration. The deputy will issue your registration card and validation sticker and provide you with a permit allowing you to operate your vehicle until your plates are manufactured and mailed.
Specialized Interest Retention Guidelines
- A standard license plate number can only be retained to another standard license plate.
- Most special license plate numbers can retain to most specialized interest license plate designs.
- A disability license plate number can retain to most specialized interest license.
- A standard bicentennial license plate number can retain to an Ohio Pride license plate.
- A historical license plate number can retain to another historical license plate.
- A collector license plate number can retain to another collector license plate.
- A motorcycle license plate number can retain to another motorcycle license plate.
- A disabled motorcycle license plate number can retain to another disabled motorcycle license plate.
- A veteran motorcycle license plate number can retain to another motorcycle veteran license plate.
- An APV license plate number can retain to another APV license plate.
License plate numbers may be retained on:
- Passenger vehicles
- Non-commercial trucks
- Non-commercial trailers
- Commercial trucks
- Commercial trailers
- Recreational vehicles
- House vehicles
- Motor homes
- Church buses
- Transit buses
- All-terrain vehicles (ATV)
Methods for Registration
Ohio Revised Code: 4503.192(A)(1)